Welcome to Emerson Elementary
|Add your address below to get directions to Emerson Elementary.
Parking Map of Emerson
Click to learn more >>
Dear Emerson Families,
Welcome back to school for the 2012-13 school year! The staff of Emerson is eager to see all of our students back in classrooms this August. There are many things to be excited about this school year and so I’d like to take a moment to highlight a few items:
- New Start Time for our day! – Please be aware that teachers will begin teaching in classrooms at 8:10 this school year. Students will be allowed in the building at 7:50. Both these times are 10-15 minutes earlier than last school year so plan accordingly. Breakfast will be served beginning at 7:45 and students should meet by the N.W. door for breakfast. K-2 students continue to line up outside the S.E. door. Students in grades 3-5 continue to line up at the N.W. door.
- Wednesday 2:00 Dismissals – Another major change this school year is that each and every Wednesday, students will be dismissed at 2:00 in order to allow for teacher collaboration and meetings. There will be no 11:30 dismissals for inservice this school year. Please have a plan and check the district calendar for other important dates.
- New Staff – Carah Hart will join the Emerson staff as our new K-5 Music Teacher. Mrs. Hart replaces Mrs. Meyer who resigned following the 2011-12 school year. Jen Pribil will begin this school year as our new K-5 Guidance Counselor. Mrs. Pribil previously served as elementary counselor with the Martensdale\St. Mary’s school district. Finally, Laura Anderson will begin as our new first grade classroom teacher, filling in for Mrs. Llewellyn who left the district last spring. Mrs. Anderson previously served as a reading teacher at Irving Elementary last school year. Welcome to our new teachers!
- Curriculum/Instruction – This year, all grade levels and classrooms at Emerson and throughout the school district, will be implementing the new Everyday Math curriculum. Some of you may recall this curriculum from last year as several grade levels and classrooms at Emerson piloted Everyday Math. Many students, parents and teachers were very impressed with the new materials, which prompted the district to purchase the curriculum for all elementary buildings. Families not familiar with Everyday Math will notice some changes. Classroom teachers and District memos will keep families updated on how you can help your child with these new materials. Please ask lots of questions of teachers and principals so that you know how you can help at home.
- PTO – The Emerson Parent Teacher Organization is eager to reach out to attract new members to help with the many projects that they support throughout the school year. Our participation during the 2011-12 school year greatly increased compared to the previous years. The PTO had many very successful projects that occurred last year including our Emerson Family Concert, Emerson Carnival, School Fundraiser, Concession Stands, Scrapfest, 5th Grade Lock-in, and many others. Our projects provide fundraising support and some are just fun family activities that are scheduled for our community. As the saying goes…Many hands make light work and we welcome your help! Please join us if you can find the time!
As for your principal, I am eagerly looking forward to my fifth year serving the students, parents, and staff of Emerson Elementary. I look forward connecting with our returning students and meeting the new students and families that will begin at Emerson this fall. My goal each and every year is to earn the trust and respect of everyone I encounter in my role as principal of Emerson Elementary and as an Indianola community member.
If you have any questions or need assistance of any kind, please contact me directly. (961-9550 x5100)
Mark Timmerman, K-5 Principal
Emerson Elementary School